As I have mentioned to the students, we are planning on doing some of our testing online and through Google classroom this semester.
Benefits of online testing with video include:
- The ability for me to visually see the embouchure, grips and keys that the students are playing.
- The ability for me to re watch the video to get a good read of what their strengths and weaknesses are.
- The ability for me to give a more detailed report back to the students so that they can know exactly how they are doing and how to improve.
- The ability for me to watch the video with the students to point things out so they can hear themselves play from an audience members perspective.
- Students have a large window to complete the test on and do not need to submit their video until they get their best repetition of the line. Students can submit it when they are ready as long as it is by the due date.
- Especially in my large class of 80, the students do not have to sit and wait as I test EACH STUDENT INDIVIDUALLY.
There are many benefits that I see with this form of testing. We will not use online testing for every test, but we will when needed.
Ways to submit the test:
- Students must take a video where I can see their face and entire instrument (specifically the hands).
- Students will either email the video to me directly firstname.lastname@example.org OR submit it through GoogleClassroom. (Make sure to put your first and last name please).
- Class 6.1 (10:15-11:05) class key= 8e52j9
- Class 6.2 (12:00-12:50) class key= 89xry6d
- Students without a cell phone or recording device will use a Chromebook at school to turn in their test. Every student has the opportunity to submit this assignment. Any students who do not turn in the test by the due date will quickly be tested in class with a late penalty.