I cannot say enough great things about the performance last night! The students were very well prepared, professional, and performed with pride! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your evening to allow for your students to perform and for attending the concert to support them. We have an incredible community here and I feel so blessed to do what I do, especially after nights like last night.
I will be at a conference beginning tomorrow morning so IF the band jackets do not come in today they should be in by the end of the week. I will have the substitute hand out their band jackets if they come in after today.
PLEASE make sure that your students bring home their horn after today. They will not play in class and we need to make sure that they touch their horn during the break so that we can come back in January and continue to grow!
Tubas, baritones and horns will need to speak with me if they wish to bring their horn home to practice.
Have a FANTASTIC holiday break!
Dear CMS Band Parents,
Here are some reminders about our upcoming concert on Monday, December the 12th.
- The concert begins at 7pm. Your students must arrive in uniform with their instrument at 6:30 to the stage in the Mabry Arts Center. We will be seating your students and getting last minute details worked out. Please do not show up late. Students who are not in full uniform will not be allowed to perform.
- Full uniform includes: black pants/long skirt (no jeans), black socks, dress shoes (closed toed shoes for females), and your black performance polo. After Monday all students will have their band polos.
- I HIGHLY recommend that you take your student shopping NOW to make sure that they have their appropriate performance attire. Many students wait until the days before and “have no dress pants that fit me”. We want for the students to learn to be proactive and responsible about things. Please contact me with any if you need assistance in purchasing any part of the uniform. Your student will wear this outfit for 5th-8th grade band so it is a great investment.
- It is a formal concert that will last about one hour. Not only do we expect for you and your students to stay for the entire concert but we encourage it so that both you and your student can support the other grade levels and have something to aspire to. It is one of our two after school concerts and we ask that you enjoy the whole thing! Attending the concert is a grade for your student!! Do not forget that.
The 5th graders will be performing the following lines out of their book for the concert. They may want to begin touching up on these lines: 1-10, 14 Rolling Along, 17 Hot Cross Buns, 24 Listen to Our Sections, 25 Lightly Row, 30 London Bridge, 31 A Mozart Melody, 38 Jingle Bells.
6th Grade is already aware of what they are performing at the concert. They have the sheet music in their binders. Brush up so that we can hit the ground running tomorrow!
If you have not received any info about fundraisers, concerts, and rehearsals then you have not entered your email and clicked the “follow” button on our website. Subscribing to our website is a sure way to NEVER miss out on any information.
Due to our Savannah trips this year for 5th and 6th grade, we will not have our Spring concert at the end of the year. Since we are combining our concerts with CMS Singers we decided that we would choose the date that they usually perform which is the week before Spring Break.
Our new Spring Concert date is March 30th at 7pm. We will still play at the Mabry Arts Center (the theater here in campus at the high school) and the report time will still be 6:30.
I have a lot of planned things for the Spring Concert that will make it a blast for all of us and cannot wait for your kids to show off at their Holiday Concert on December the 12th. Please make sure that your kids get black dress pants (no jeans), some black socks, a black belt and some black shoes (no tennis shoes). We want for our students to look and sound professional. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions that you have!
See below for a quick reminder about our jacket order. Tomorrow is the last day that I will accept the orders. From Monday on you will need to bring your order to Ozier Apparel yourself. Your jacket will most likely come in at a later time than the ones that are placed with me Friday evening.
Each coat comes with our exclusive Trojan band logo embroidered on the left side. For $5 extra you can have your child’s name, and instrument added. We will sell these coats until November 11th, and then turn in the orders to Ozier Apparel.
Important items to remember:
- PLEASE MAKE SURE TO WRITE YOUR CHECKS TO OZIER APPAREL, NOT CMS BAND.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SPELL YOUR NAME CORRECTLY AND YOUR INSTRUMENT CORRECTLY WHEN ADDING $5 FOR EXTRA EMBROIDERY.
- COATS ARE NOT REQUIRED THEY ARE JUST A FUN ADDED EXTRA.
We have several sizes in the band room if you would like to try them on your child before writing your size. These also make great gifts for your child if you would like to order them secretly and turn them in directly to me without them knowing, just turn the order form and money in to the front office and they will put it in my mailbox. I will link the order form in the “Forms” section of the website if you would like to print one.
I regret to inform you that the cookie dough company will not have the cookie dough in tomorrow. They will be in on Friday October the 21st at 10AM.
Once again, the cookie dough will not be turned in tomorrow but this Friday instead. Thank you to the volunteers for sending emails stating that you were available to help tomorrow. If you are able to help on Friday instead beginning around 9:45AM please email me.
I cannot thank you all enough for your patience with this.
Thank you very much for your hard work this semester. Below are a couple of important announcements.
Cookie Dough: Depending on the amount of boxes that your student sold, they may owe money towards their band performance polo. The goal was to sell 7 boxes to earn their band polo. Three dollars from every box sold goes towards their $21 band performance polo. This shirt is needed to perform at all CMS and CJHS Band events. Please contact me with any questions.
Cookie Dough Delivery: The cookie dough is set to come in on the second full week of October. It looks like Tuesday the 11th is our goal date to have the cookie dough delivered. If you would like to assist in organizing and counting the cookie dough I will need a lot of help during the school day. Please contact me if you are interested in volunteering.
Band Concerts: We finally have our two concerts set up for the school year. We will share with CMS Singers for both of these concerts. If your child is in both ensembles then they will be given plenty of time to change or transition as needed.
Our Holiday Concert is December the 12th beginning at 7PM.
Our Spring Concert is May the15th beginning at 7PM.
Report times for both concerts is 6PM at the Mabry Arts Center at the high school.
Playing Test: We had a very successful first playing test last week. A student may make up any test grade for me throughout the year. Please check their grade and encourage them to push for a 100. Also keep an eye on their practice log grade and their weekly participation grade. Students with great practice log grades and participation grades are more likely to excel on playing tests.
Please contact me with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
The response to our website has been great so far! Thank you for all of the comments and questions so far.
Below are a few important announcements:
- Band Binders: Both Ms. Menendez and Mr. Huls decided to use a binder this year to hold music instead of a paper folder like we have used in the past. The folders were not as durable as we had hoped and caused many students to lose their music throughout the school year. In the handbook I requested a 1 inch black binder with sheet protectors inside of it. On Monday, Mr. Huls and I realized that 1 inch binders are too large for our music storage cabinets in the band room at the Middle and Junior High school. We are asking that you purchase a 1/2 inch black binder for your students instead of the 1 inch binder. This reduction in size will not only weigh less but it will ensure that all 120+ members can store their band binders in a organized location in our band rooms. I apologize for the confusion and will update the handbook to reflect this change.
- Band Fees: The band fees for the year are $30 for 6th grade members and $15 for 5th grade band members. If you have multiple students in our program or in another Carrollton band program you may email me directly for clarification on the amount that you owe. *Cash or checks are accepted. Please make the checks written out to “CMS Band”.*
- 6th Grade parents: We will begin testing our students one-by-one for their instruments in class today. This process will continue until our Instrument Nights. The first 6th grade connection class will attend the August 31st instrument night to rent/purchase their instrument, equipment and band books. The second 6th grade connection class will attend the September 2nd instrument night. These will run from 5-8pm on both nights. More information will be sent home in the new few weeks on options for obtaining an instrument for your student.
The behavior and work ethic of your students has been fantastic so far this year. I look forward to teaching your students daily and making music with them. Please do not hesitate to contact me through email with any questions.